Combs-la-Ville is a commune in the south-eastern suburbs of Paris, in the Seine-et-Marne department in the Île-de-France in north-central France. It is located 25.5 km (15.8 mi) from the centre of Paris.
Settlements in the area date from the time of the Gallo-Roman era, circa 100 BC., and the town played an important part in in Frankish and French history right throughout the Middle Ages.
The town hall occupies the site of a historically significant part of Combs-la-Ville: the seat of the Lordship of Menchy. First mentioned in court records in 1508, the villa was for centuries occupied by the prominent family of Charles Le Cocq. By 1775, the Lordship of Menchy had passed into the hands of After passing though into the hands of several owners, by 1783 the manor had become the property of the Count of Provence—who was also the younger brother of King Louis XVI and the future King Louis XVIII.
Another highlight of the town is Le Château de la Fresnaye, a huge villa built on the site of medieval ruins in the 1700s. Used by. Among others, the playwright Alexandre Duval, the villa is today used as a exhibition centre, and for local cultural activities.
With a population of around 22,000, the town has been twinned with Oswestry since 1980.